Friday, September 11, 2015

A Small Landscape

Here's a piece I was working on today. Not sure if I'll stitch in some dried grasses or not. I'm not looking forward to winter but this piece was started last year and put away unfinished.  Once framed, it should be a good one for the Christmas Craft Fair in November.

I used some of my hand dyed satin for the sky. Satin dyes well and gives a shimmer to my skies. The snow is a heavy organza and hand stitched to the base. It is easy to manipulate with needle and thread. The tree, which is made from burlap, is also hand stitched to the background. I used Sulky Opalescent Sliver thread to tack down the branches. The tiny stitches sparkle like bits of ice on them.

The mat (just laid in place) is suppose to be a bright white. I usually use a black metal frame that is custom made to fit my pieces.

Matted 5 x 7



13 comments:

  1. I don't like outside winter, and would be quite happy if your picture was all I saw of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so beautiful and so realistic!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ariadne. Guess you don't get much of this kind of winter in Greece!

      Delete
  3. It's a lovely piece Judy! Enjoy discovering new things on your blog! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful! I really liked how you mixed soft materials with rustic.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I enjoy creating small landscapes.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love the shimmer's here. It really brings a quiet winter late afternoon to mind. I don't look forward to winter but this piece is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Carol. I used a shimmery fabric for the snow. It works well.

    ReplyDelete