Sunday, February 23, 2020

3 - D Thread Sculpture: Continued

I did some more stitching on another 3 - D thread sculpture last week. This one had more stitching and twiggy limbs. The only problem: I didn't rinse off enough of the water soluble stabilizer. If you look closely, you can see some of the excess stabilizer. I will also stitch a little more closely. Maybe the next one will turn out correctly.


Monday, February 17, 2020

More Wool Applique

Some eye candy from Saturday's Wool Applique Workshop. Linda Naugler.  I have permission to show them. Sue Spargo designs were used for inspiration.

Needle Case

Needle Case

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Wool Applique Workshop

Saturday, I attended a Wool Applique Workshop with teacher Linda Naugler and quilters from the Mahone Bay Quilt Guild. It was a relaxing day with no expectations of finishing a project. It was experimenting with stitches, chatting and seeing what everyone was working on. Here's the projects worked on:

The first bird is part of the teacher handout. We could do this pattern or choose one of our own.  The finished project is a needle case.

This fish is mine. I took the photo early on in the day and I didn't get a chance to take another one.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

3-D Thread Painted Sculpture - still in process

I did manage to get my 3-D thread sculpture experiment to stand up, finally! Reading directions helps sometimes. In any case, fabric stiffener was used to stiffen it.

The next one will have more stitching and I will have more patience and do it right! This reminds me of coral.

Friday, February 7, 2020

Back to the Drawing Board!

My experiment from the previous post needs more work!!! A lot more work!!!

Here's the stitching on a Styrofoam ball. I should have covered the ball with foil as this piece stuck to it and I had the dickens of a time getting it off. Not to mention that a lot of the glue from the water soluble stabilizer (below) did not dissolve. In my wisdom, I decided to add the Ultra Solvy to the Aqua Magic sheet already in the hoop. Not a good idea.

Here's the first one! What a disaster!! But, not one to give up, I did a second one using same thread colour.

This one was pinned onto a foil covered ball. This time, it came off without any difficulty.

However, too much of the stabilizer was rinsed off. Only the threads going around the top are keeping it in shape.

 More of the Aqua Magic Stabilizer was dissolved in a small amount of water to form a paste.

The paste still didn't stiffen it enough to stay in shape. Next time I will use fabric stiffener. And I will do a lot more stitching as the lines I did were fragile. I was in a hurry to see the result. I should know better after all the years I've been doing things like this.


Next time I'll do better ( SMILE )!!!! And, I'm going to use a slightly smaller Styrofoam ball.


Saturday, February 1, 2020

Having Fun!!

Hello February!!!

Today I decided to play around with some ideas using free motion stitching. I sketched a design onto paper and transferred it to water soluble stabilizer. It was hooped and stitched using variegated thread.

That's as far as I got today. Next step tomorrow. I'll keep you posted whether it turns out or not. Remember - experiments don't always turn out perfectly the first time.