Friday, February 7, 2020

Back to the Drawing Board!

My experiment from the previous post needs more work!!! A lot more work!!!

Here's the stitching on a Styrofoam ball. I should have covered the ball with foil as this piece stuck to it and I had the dickens of a time getting it off. Not to mention that a lot of the glue from the water soluble stabilizer (below) did not dissolve. In my wisdom, I decided to add the Ultra Solvy to the Aqua Magic sheet already in the hoop. Not a good idea.

Here's the first one! What a disaster!! But, not one to give up, I did a second one using same thread colour.

This one was pinned onto a foil covered ball. This time, it came off without any difficulty.

However, too much of the stabilizer was rinsed off. Only the threads going around the top are keeping it in shape.

 More of the Aqua Magic Stabilizer was dissolved in a small amount of water to form a paste.

The paste still didn't stiffen it enough to stay in shape. Next time I will use fabric stiffener. And I will do a lot more stitching as the lines I did were fragile. I was in a hurry to see the result. I should know better after all the years I've been doing things like this.


Next time I'll do better ( SMILE )!!!! And, I'm going to use a slightly smaller Styrofoam ball.


1 comment:

  1. I doubt this is what you're aiming for, but I would be using this as the basis for shrubs/small trees on a landscape. For some reason I 'see' it with sparkly white snow added.