Tuesday, January 17, 2017

All About Modern

Modern Quilting - what exactly is it? The Stitchin' Post gives an answer to this question.
According to the "Modern Quilt Guild," modern quilts are primarily functional and inspired by modern design. Modern quilters work in different styles and define modern quilting in different ways, but several characteristics often appear which may help identify a modern quilt. These include, but are not limited to: the use of bold colors and prints, high contrast and graphic areas of solid color, improvisational piecing, minimalism, expansive negative space, and alternate grid work. "Modern traditionalism" or the updating of classic quilt designs is also often seen in modern quilting."

Me, I like the ones with lots of white or black space and colour. The colour would not be any particular quilt block - more random.  I also like the work of Jean Wells. Her books, Inspired Art Quilting and Intuitive Color & Design are both  in my library collection.
Enjoy!!
 
Jacquie Gering Quilt, part of her Trunk Show here in St. John's


Another one of Jacquie's quilts





3 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, I attempted a modern like quilt for Christmas. Colourful little boxes against a sea of white. Not like anything I've ever made before, but I did like the finished look. I will check out these links, thanks.
    Just so you know Valdani perle cotton thread is on an excellent sale at Massdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun in those links - I love the colours that people are putting together in the modern quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out Judy! I have certainly caught the modern bug. I just can't get enough! I'm off to check out the other links you posted.

    ReplyDelete