Sunday, January 22, 2017

New Embroidery Books

Two new hand embroidery books have been added to my library. One of my friends has these and brought them to one of our stitch days. Of course, they were "must have"! 

The projects in Simply Stitched uses a combination of wool embroidery thread and cotton embroidery floss on linen. Using wool means that fewer stitches are used. However, using thicker embroidery floss, might just work as well (my opinion). The motifs are simple yet elegant and can be used in a variety of ways. You can experiment and use them in other projects than those in the book.


Zakka Embroidery designs are 'an elegant blend of Japanese and Scandinavian style. The motifs and patterns are spare and graphic, yet softened with organic shapes and imagery drawn from nature'. In this book, the motifs are stitched using just one or two colours. The photographs, the step-by-step instructions and detailed diagrams, are very well done. I can see using this book for inspiration, perhaps taking bits and pieces and incorporating them into an original piece.


Some inspiration, tutorials, Pinterest . . .
Enjoy!!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews. I'm always on the hunt for new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More books I can see I need to check for at the library. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete