Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Iris Folding

Last evening at Eastern Edge Quilt Guild, the program was Iris Folding. This technique originated in Holland. It is called iris folding because the center of the design resembles the iris of a camera or eye. Traditionally, origami paper is used for the main design and holographic paper is used to fill in the center. Fabric was used in our project.

The quilter, who demonstrated this technique, was very well prepared and had all the fabric strips cut and folded for each person. Thanks Sheila! It was a great project.
There are lots of free patterns on the Iris Folding web site. I think I just might make a few more using some of my batik fabrics! Here are the apples completed at my table. Mine is the green one on top.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! These are deliciously fantastic! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I was just talking to a friend about fabric folding. I will be sending her to your post!

    ReplyDelete