Tuesday, July 27, 2010

England in the Fall

Alexander Palace
Well, it is confirmed that I will be heading to England in September on a Quilting & Needlework in England in the Fall tour with McCarthy's Party! For awhile we weren't sure it was going ahead but while I was on vacation, I got the good news. My friend and I will be staying in London for an extra week after the tour. One of the places we will visit on the tour, is the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexander Palace, London. This show is one of the major textile events in the UK. I'm looking forward to this one as I've read about it over the years in various quilting/stitching magazines. I've been to the International Quilt Show, Houston, Texas and that was fantastic!
Another stop will be the Royal School of Needlework based at Hampton Court in south-west London. In the morning, there is a tour of the Embroiderers Guild collection and explore the Palace (somehow, I can't see doing all that in one morning - maybe a second visit might be the thing to do) and in the afternoon, a private tour of the Royal School of Needlework is planned.

Victoria & Albert Museum
At York, we will visit the Quilters Museum, headquarters of the Quilters Guild of Great Britain. A special 'behind the scenes' tour has been arranged with the Museum Curator.







Sistine Chapel
While in London, we will be visiting the Victoria and Albert Museum. Apparently at the V & A  there is a special exhibition of tapestries from the Sistine Chapel. This is the first time ever in the UK for such a show. Of course, we will also see some of Princess Diana's wardrobe. 

That's a few places we will visit. I am hoping to meet some quilters and embroiderers while in England. I think that would be fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds so wonderful, I know you will enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete