Monday, September 6, 2010

Summer Challenge

This will be the third year for the Eastern Edge Quilters. Our first meeting is tomorrow evening. We meet the first Tuesday of each month. Part of tomorrow's program will be to bring along our completed summer challenge:  Design Your Own Name Tag. There was a constraint on size - no smaller than 3" x 3" but we had the freedom to make it any shape, be a lanyard or pin . . ., and be any colour. It must include our name (of course) and the initials "EEQ".

My first idea was to piece some wavy shapes together to simulate waves or maybe do a fish shape. However, those were cast aside in favor of doing some free motion stitching over a colourful piece of batik fabric - a whole cloth quilt block. Works for me!

So here I am, the day before our meeting, making my name tag! To save some time, my husband put my name on a memory stick so that I could embroider it with my embroidery machine. All our original designs for embroidery are created in a computer program called DRAWings 5 Professional. This is an excellent program which we have been using since it was developed several versions ago.

The first picture shows the fabric I choose. Next, the free motion stitching was applied. I used 'fast 2 fuse', a double-sided fusible stiff interfacing, on the back of the batik. Recycled suede from Value Village was put on the back of the tag. The suede is bonded with 'Heat n' Bond Lite'. I wanted to keep the name tag simple!
batik fabric
free motion stitching
finished name tag
back of tag is recycled suede

No comments:

Post a Comment